Friday, August 3, 2012

Searching for Inspiration

First of all, I want to express my great frustration with publishing this post - I had it all neatly written on my smartphone, but for some reason, it didn't upload to the internet. When I published it, it spun its wheels and never did anything...except keep me from ever seeing the post ever again in order to rewrite it. So this is what I get for not writing often enough that one lost post feels like the end of the world. And for ever trusting that Google had Blogger worked out on their own Android OS....


But apart from that, I'm going to try and recall as much of what I wrote before again.


Inspiration is an interesting thing. Isn't it fascinating that people create things every day, each vastly unique from others. I was reading one of Etsy's "Quit Your Day Job" articles and they ask shop owners where they gather their inspiration. More often than not, it's somewhere along the lines of, "Everywhere".


How can a collection of people be looking at roughly the same ocean, beaches, forests, night sky, experiencing the same bus ride, shopping trip or household chores, create the variety of things that they do? It's beautiful. I love it.


Click post to read more...

I find myself looking at the strangest things, or rather, most ordinary things and thinking, "Gee, this would make a great lamp", or "I know this gadget is meant to do this, but wouldn't it be great as a widget?". Granted, as an industrial designer, I take a critical eye to almost everything I touch, use, encounter (sorry hubby, I'm working on it!), for good or bad, but I find that lots of people think this way. 


*Sidenote: I did read a book somewhat recently that said, "Don't diminish or dismiss a natural talent or skill. Too many people incorrectly believe that if they can do something with ease, then everyone can. Or because their talent comes easily, they diminish that talent as commonplace. When you diminish your talent as commonplace, (a) you won't work at your talent or genius to imporove it; or (b) you won't value your taent for what customers will pay; or (c) you will do both." How to Make Big Money in your Own Small Business by Fox. I'm not diminishing or dismissing my own talent, just realizing that other people think as oddly as I do sometimes.


I also saw something on Pinterest that said: Being creative is not a hobby, but a way of life. I think that pinpoints why creative people find inspiration everywhere because they make it their life. They are not limiting their creativity to the times in which they sit behind a desk are 'on the clock'. They're constantly looking everywhere for inspiration. 


That all being said, I'm trying to look in unusual places for inspiration for books. Home decorator magazines, fashion, even events in someone's life. It's helping me see outside of the ubiquitous school notebook or leather bound ancient history book. It's keeping me on my toes and helping me fill pages of ideas. My regret for constantly procrastinating projects in school if finally doing some good, now that grades aren't a factor. :)


So, if anyone reads this (I don't know who you are), help me out a little. What are some non-traditional, or unique ways to use a book? What events in one's life could call for having a journal, or album, or stack of paper? I'm open for ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment